Saturday, June 07, 2014

tayberries, kale, strawberries, tomatoes, rainier cherries

plus peaches, maitreya mushrooms, eggs from pastured chickens, avocados, sorrel, 3 small peaches, organic local asparagus and a piece of polenta w/kale from the organic baker at my farmers market

I remembered, half way home, and it's only about 3 blocks altogether, that I wanted chives. I didn't go back. I felt lazy in the moment of decision but I have a date later, so I was marketing as early as possible.

I was going to do one quart of garlic and chive fermented asparagus and one with ginger. In the instant I decided not to turn back, I decided I'll settle for two quarts of garlic-flavored fermented asparagus.

How did I miss how easy it is to ferment, or pickle, vegies?

I asked what tayberries are. The vendor said they were a hybrid from raspberries and ollallaberries.  Joking I said "So they are genetically modified?!" as I handed him my five bucks for the tiny basket of tayberries. He could see I was kidding around. He good naturedly said "Well, they are hybrids, but hybrids aren't genetically modified. Hybridization happens naturally in nature and crossing plants is not the same as genetically modifying them."

My tayberries might be the largest berries I have seen other than strawberries.  I bought the tayberries as much for the name as for their purplish pink plumpness.

And the foods I bought were just a few of the many other fruit and veggies on sale. What a glorious world. Think about it. I could also have bought organic blueberries, apples, spring greens, all kinds of lettuce, chard, potatoes, beets, fennel, summer squashes of many kinds.  I was tempted to buy some zucchini but I am in a food rut.

In my food rut, I eat the same few things. My variety comes from the amazing bounty of summer fruit.



No comments: