Thursday, December 10, 2015

she's gone

I'm headed to the Midwest this week to visit my family of origin. My baby brother, my baby sister, niece, nephew. Thinking about family from many angles. I would like to be hermetically sealed off from wanting family or community in my life. I don't know what people are for but I sure wish I would stop yearning to connect with them.

My mother is spending a week at my sister's. A few weeks ago, some doctor declared that mom has dementia. It's interesting to watch my family cope with mom's decline from a distance. Mom has had dementia for a few years now but my siblings have struggled to accept it. Then when some stranger, a new doctor, gives mom the stamp of dementia, suddenly my siblings have accepted it. Mom is gone, they say. Just now my sister said that the person I am angry with is gone.

No comments: