Thursday, December 10, 2015

an eggplant sofa

I used to own a very dark, plush, purple sofa. The very dark purple was called eggplant. I loved this sofa. It had a big hump arching across the back. Right down the middle of the hump, was a dark, plush, eggplant seam. I loved that seam. There were lots of seams and I loved them all but I loved the one down the middle best.

I could put this sofa at the end of my bed (I live in a studio apartment). Then I would have a little conversation nook. I could sit on that sofa sometimes instead of on my blue recliner. I love my blue recliner. It belonged to Peggy's mom. Ethel's recliner. The recliner is shabby and soiled. My eggplant sofa was like new when I gave it away. I gave it away when I left the Midwest.

When I bought that sofa, Rosie wanted me to get a red plush sofa. She was a freshman in college. I was furnishing my grad school apartment. I still had money. I almost ordered the red one, to please her. But then, right there in the furniture store, my inner voice told me that Rosie was never going to live at home again and this was my sofa. "Get the eggplant", my inner voice said to me. Rosie whined a bit that I didn't go with red, which, pleasantly enough, actually increased my pleasure in the purple.

Gosh, I loved that sofa. I want it back.

1 comment:

Leibbrand said...

I saw a modern eggplant colored sofa, it looked great. I'm on the hunt for one now.