Tuesday, December 22, 2015

jury duty

I got a notice to report for jury duty tomorrow. Here in Alemeda County, CA, people summoned for jury duty have been asked to call the day before to find out if they need to show up.

Today, I phoned in, as instructed, to find out if I am needed later today. I am not needed in the morning but I have to call again  to find out if I will be needed this afternoon. This seems unfair. The recorded message told me to go about my normal day and just check in between 11 a.m. and noon.

What if my normal day takes me to SF and then I find out at noon that I need to report at 1? I don't have a car and even with a car, it can be challenging to get from SF to Berkeley in an hour.

With this new layer of bureaucracy, demanding I check in twice, Alameda County asks too much.

I basically can't do anything until I call to find out if I have to be at some courthouse at 1. And what if I learn that I am supposed to show up but I can't get there on time?

This new double reporting sucks.

No comments: