Wednesday, December 23, 2015

sushi burritos everywhere but none to eat

According to yelp, there are two sushi burrito joints within two blocks of my building.

I set out yesterday afternoon to buy one for breakfast. I walked all the way around the two square blocks south of my building, where these alleged sushi burrito joints might be. I couldn't find one, not anywhere there.

I had read, apparently a typo, that there was one such shop near Oxford on Center. I know that street very well, for I walk up and down it all the time, usually more than once daily. I had never noticed a sushi burrito shop but, I vaguely recalled, there was that new vaguely Asian spot called the Purple Cow.

I thought maybe I had mistakenly assumed it was a bubble tea and/or froyo shop but it was really a sushi burrito joint. I went in, found no froyo. And, truth told, I am still not sure what that place considers its main business. In addition to whatever they use organic milk for, because they have big signs proclaiming their recent shift to only organic milk so I assume some kind of dairy product if the main focus, I saw a sign for a few crappy fast food snacks. Like Japanese tempura fried crap:  chicken, something else and sweet potato french fries.

Oh, get this. I asked the Asian girl selling the sweet potato frieds if she knew anywhere with sushi burritos, explaining I thought there was such a place on the same block. She said she had never heard of sushi burritos. Ah ha!  I am not the only person who hasn't heard of sushi burritos. There is a chain called sushirrito, I told her, and there are 3 or 4 of them in SF, one in Palo Alto and even some in my hometown Chicago. Sushi burritos are real. I think.  She seemed skeptical.

For some insane reason, I decided to get the sweet potato fries. I am always reading that sweet potatoes are good for diabetics, although I am not sure why. Carbs are carbs, eh? I was hungry, feeling discouraged in my sushi burrito quest. I had set out with hope and, while not high expectations, I had set out with a mild expectation of a moderately okay and almost healthy dinner, a sushi burrito.

I walked all around Oxford to Center south on Shattuck, eat on Allston, back around again, then I headed further south, to Center and walked all around.

But there were no sushi burrito spots, not anywhere there.

I was glad I had those greasy, but tasty sweet potato fries. They were just all fried batter. They were nice sized and I really tasted sweet potato.  I have no illusion that it was a healthy meal and I shot some insulin as soon as I got home, guestimating on the carbs, figuring I'd just test a couple times and adjust accordingly.

Then I got online. The sushi burrito spot is around the block on Allston, next to Saturn Cafe. And it closes at 6.  I kept walking past it because it was darkened. Closed.

Tomorrow, I will try again. Or another day. 

I am in the middle of making awesome wild rice soup. That will be very filling. Between the soup and braised spinach, I won't need a sushi burrito.

And then there is my annual Christmas dinner, which I won't write about here. I alwys eat the same lonely meal on Christmas. Except a couple Christmases when I went out for Thai with ACIM friends and last year when a friend treated me to chopped liver at the Jewish Museum.

This year, I'm falling back on my alone-for-Christmas standard. Hush.

But maybe a sushi burrito, if the joint is open on Christmas Eve. At leas tnow I know it closes at 6.

I am reminded of a Christmas my long ago husband and I spent in Christmas at my dad's. WE thought we'd go out to dinner on Christmas Eve to have some couple time before the big noisy family rush of Christmas Day. We couldn't find anywhere open but pizza.  He wouldn't accept pizza for Christmas Eve so we spent hours miserably trying to find a place open. This was pre-smart phone when we couldn't just get online from anywhere and find a place.

We ended up eating pizza, with my ex moaning and groaning the whole time, like it was my fault.

Everything was always my fault. That seems to be par for me and men. Any tension is always my fault.

Sigh.  I hate this holiday week. But I am hopeful about sushi burritos.

No comments: