Friday, March 21, 2014

first time I bought officiallly organic food

In 1976, I moved from Chicago to Minneapolis for grad school. The Twin Cities of Minnesota had a food co-op system. Shopping at those co-ops was cheaper than regular grocery stores. This was before there was an Annie's, Organic Valley, and all the products that now fill food co-ops and Whole Foods like stores. In 1976, the food co-op I joined sold almost everything in bulk, making it cheaper.

I was particularly impressed by bulk spices. Way cheaper than the small jars of spices.

I didn't always buy organic after that. As the movement grew, and processed, putatively organic food became more common, prices rose. I remember a friend raving to me about the pastured chickens fed vegetarian feed and how much better they were. I was a single mom. I had priced those organic chickens. They cost about twice as much as the junk chicken I bought.  I felt guilty.

I fed my kid lots of organic food. She had a vegetarian phase in grade school and I supported that.

No comments: