Thursday, March 20, 2014

a Stonewall story

A gay friend of mine just told me this story.  First I told him about the first time I went to NYC. I don't remember in this moment what my first time in NYC was like. It is hard to think of my dull tale after my friend's sweet one.

He was a young, beautiful gay man who agreed to accompany an older, disabled, wheelchair-bound gay man to NYC. The first thing they did was take a taxi to Stonewall, where gays hung out but were constantly harassed by cops. One day, the bar clientele had enough and they rioted. It started a revolution for gay rights. Huzzah for the Stonewall riots.

Here's the sweet part:  when they arrived at Stonewall, getting out the guy's wheel chair, my friend pulling out his wallet to pay, the cab drive, a NYC cabdriver, said the ride was free.

I love this little story.

No comments: