Saturday, March 22, 2014

a supercalifragilistic day and it's only half over

*found out the wrap shop next door sells falafel by the piece. It's gluten-free and the dipping sauce is not only dairy-free but free free. When I don't want to cook, right next door is organic falafel.

*wild hedgehog mushrooms. I have never had them before but can't wait to cook them.  I am eating some mushrooms nearly every day. But these wild hedgehogs are $20 a pound so I won't be eating my $7 all week. I predict they are gone by sundown tomorrow.

*organic strawberries at, thus far, only one vendor. Lush, sweet, low-glycemic and mine, all mine.

*organic guacamole made by the great organic tortilla place. I eat half an avocado nearly daily, like sliced on my breakfast egg or eat some with refried pinto beans (homemade ones are much cheaper than store-bought and guaranteed organic). I also put half an avocado in raw green smoothies when I am lazy. need to boost my vegie proportions for the day and in a few minutes, I have kale, avocado, sorrel, watercress, cinnamon and, now and again, berries. Just think how great my perfectly ripe strawberries are going to be

*gluten-free polenta filled with greens from my organic baker pal

*jumbo pastured eggs. The guy selilng was super cute. I asked him how I could buy pastured eggs at Berkeley Bowl for $3.59 but his were $8. He said "At the BB, you don't get to talk to me and come out and visit my farm." I said "Sold!" He said "Which ones do you want?"  I pointed to the one with all jumbo eggs. He said "Jumbos are another buck."  I had already given him eight so I pulled out my cash and peeled off another dollar. "When I see a jumbo egg land on my cast iron skillet, knowing it is for me, I feel like a princess. It's worth a dollar to feel like a princess."  He laughed. Then I said "And at the Berkeley Bowl, nobody cares if I feel likek a princess."  He said "See you next week, princess."

I am in the golden tunnel

No comments: