Sunday, June 28, 2015

toxic attraction: empaths and narcissists

Toxic attraction between an empath and a narcissist



The above link takes you to an article at elephantjournal.com. It's written by an empath. Everything she wrote is also true for me and my experiences.  I am a high empath and I fall for sociopathic narcissists. 

Not all charmers are sociopathic narcissists but my guard goes up when I interact with a very charming man.  I have a hard time distinguising genuine charm and predatory charm.

I did all the things the writer describes doing in her article.  I became a festering wound, wanting my last narcissistic sociopath to love me, approve of me and stop attacking me. I don't want, or need, a man who projects his unworked wounds onto me and then attacks me for his projections. I have my own wounds. I don't need the unworked wounds of anyone else.

Some excerpts from this spot-on article:

"A narcissist is wounded. Something, somewhere along the line, usually stemming from childhood causes a person to feel worthless and unvalued and, due to this, they will constantly and very desperately seek validation.
 Here comes the empath, the healer (NB: that's me, the empath/healer). An empath has the ability to sense and absorb other people’s pain and often takes it on as though it were their own. If an empath is not consciously aware of boundaries and does not understand how to protect themselves, they will very easily and very quickly bond with the narcissist in order to try to fix and repair any damage and attempt to eradicate all their pain.
What the empath fails to realise is that the narcissist is a taker. An energy sucker, a vampire so to speak. They will draw the life and soul out of anyone they come into contact with, given the chance. This is so that they can build up their own reserves and, in doing so, they can use the imbalance to their advantage.
This dynamic will confuse and debilitate an empath, as if they do not have a full understanding of their own or other people’s capabilities, they will fail to see that not everyone is like them. An empath will always put themselves into other people’s shoes and experience the feelings, thoughts and emotions of others, while forgetting that other people may have an agenda very different to their own and that not everyone is sincere.
The narcissist’s agenda is one of manipulation, it is imperative they are in a position whereby they can rise above others and be in control. The empath’s agenda is to love, heal and care. There is no balance and it is extremely unlikely there ever will be one. The more love and care an empath offers, the more powerful and in control a narcissist will become.

Own your own shit.









No comments: