Tuesday, June 23, 2015

my grandbunny Fluffy

Fluffy came to live with me and my daughter when Rosie was five years old. She is a white, Gund bunny. She arrived on Easter Sunday.

Rosie loved her instantly. Rosie always slept with some of her dollies. Sometimes she slept with all of them. She usually put all of her dolls in bed with her after I had tucked her in for the night. This means that after I tucked her in, she would get up and carefully move all her dollies into bed. Then she could crawl into the center and fall asleep. I used to have photos of Rosie asleep with her dollies.

Once Fluffy arrived, however, all dollies before her were a bit displaced. Rosie still loved all her babies, of course, but Fluffy was number one. Rosie  took Fluffy with her to college, brought her home for holidays and they were never parted. I sometimes wonder if Rosie still has Fluffy.  Fluffy was machine washable, and she endured lots of Rosie's love but could it be possible she has not disintegrated by now?

I also loved Fluffy dearly. I often pleaded with Rosie to let me spend just one night with my grandbunny, Fluffy (sometimes I called her Fluffina to make Rosie laugh). Once in awhile, Rosie would agree, in principal, to let me sleep with Fluffina. A few times, I actually went to bed with Fluffy at my side, having attempted to cash in the night-with-Fluffy coupon. Rosie would always come into my room and tell me that she couldn't sleep without Fluffy.

For Christmas each year, Rosie would give me coupons. "This coupon is good for getting me to do the dishes without complaining." "This coupon is good for asking me to walk to the corner grocery store without whining." "This coupon is good for five hugs and ten kisses."

The golden coupon, each year in my Christmas stocking, would be "This coupon is good for spending one night with Fluffy."

I never did get to cash in the Fluffy coupon. Rosie could never part with her, not even for one night.

I miss Fluffy. I think it is wrong of Rosie to have encouraged me to love her bunny all those years and then to yank her out of my life as she has done.  Also wrong of her to have shunned me for fourteen years.

No comments: