Tuesday, June 30, 2015

in my vulnerability, my safety resides

A Course in Miracles (ACIM)  has a text, a daily lesson book (or workbook) and a small manual for teachers. I have tudied ACIM quite intensely at times, then set it aside for years and then return to it. Marianne Williamson's work began in her ACIM studies. It's a great, channeled-material resource, channeled to two professors at Columbia. Science professors, no less, who initially feared losing professional credibility.

My favorite lesson in the workbook is this:

"In my vulnerability my safety lies."

In ACIM, in the workbook, some lessons are a full page of wisdom. Some offer an italicized quote at the top and invite the student to reflect on it, for a day, a week, however long is the right time.

I have attended some ACIM study groups in the Bay Area. I have been surprised by the many students I have met here who compulsively do the workbook one day at a time, beginning with the first day of the year. This is totally different from my experience with the work. The workbook introduction says there is no right way to do the lessons, that one can do them in arbitrary order, one can stay with the same lesson for days if one feels called to stay with a lesson. Sometimes I would stick with a lesson for weeks.

This lesson, 'in my vulnerability my safety lies' is one I return to quite often.  My vulnerability is my strength, my power, my base of safety.

No comments: