Thursday, March 15, 2018

my new favorite person

A Chinese woman is part of the longstanding gang of swimmers at my new pool. She swims in my favorite lane of the pool and all the guys love her. By 'the guys', I mean the eighty-something men who swim at the same time I do everyday. I am spring chicken in this crowd. There is a pack of younger, alpha swimmers but, trust me, I belong with the geezers.

Anyway, the guys have all been friendly to me but China girl ignored me.

She went to London for a week. I was so happy she was gone because I got to swim in my sweet spot.

This morning, as I approach the pool gate, early Beatles blasting away and me dancing, the guys all said something, nodding friendliness at me and I just kept on my earphones and rocked on. China girl was back. She is sixtyish, also chicken, as my dad would have said. I was thinking "Now she'll see that I am going to become a regular too." Also, I was thinking "Why didn't she stay in London? And when is she heading to Taiwan for Christmas?"

"Why doesn't she like me?" I whined silently as I stripped down to my swimsuit poolside.

"You look fantastic, you lost weight!" said China girl. "I go away one week, come back, you look great!"

"Thanks for saying that!" I exclaimed, "I have lost ten pounds since I moved here a month ago."

"Keep up good work," she says, "By Christmas, maybe ten more pound!" And she made the thumbs up sign.

I am thinking of implementing a new policy. I am going to assume everyone is wonderful.

No comments: