Thursday, November 26, 2015

first Thanksgiving abroad: a zipper was involved

I spent my first Thanksgiving abroad while in a college program in Mexico. A bunch of us American college kids rode a van, a VW van of course because we were cool, to  another town to partake of the famous, and, for us, expensive Argentinian steakhouse. It was a very long drive but we were all spending our first major holiday away from home, all about 19 years old, and we wanted to do something special and food related. Every Mexican we knew said the Argentinian steaks were very special, worth the long drive, so off we went. 
I was high, very high, most of the time I was in Mexico so I am sure the food was very very good. The company, also all stoned. The only person I saw after I left Mexico was also from my home college. We were a bunch of American kids, primarily in Mexico to get high as much as we could. A long VW van ride for steak instead of turkey was funny enough, to all of us, to keep us laughing all the way there and all the way back the next day.
We had to camp out before going 'home'. I had a very bad cold and the couple who owned the van insisted I sleep in the van with them, for it was cold outside. I was very sick and accepted.

I don't remember the steaks or the meal. My main memory of that Thanksgiving was trying to sleep in that van when I heard one van-mate unzip a zipper. The zipper sounded very loud, given the circumstances. The couple evidently decided to just go to sleep, having heard how loud that unzipping has been. They did not rezip either.   I did not detect any further movement or noise besides their breathing and my wheezing. They apparently decided to stop spreading the love that night.

All in all, a great day. I can hear that loud zipper as I type. LOL.

No comments: