Sunday, September 14, 2014

a bit on Willa Cather, on being entirely happy & golden tunnel

I have always loved the work of Willa Cather. Then I lived in Nebraska, where she set her early novels, along with some stories set in N. Mexico. Being familiar with her work, I often 'saw' why she wrote as she did because of the way Nebraska and New Mexico are typographically and culturally. I dreamily loved her portraits of the slight past of these places.

Then she headed to New York City. The big city lights draws many. As a gay woman at a time when homosexuality was shunted into closets, I imagine it was easier to be a gay artist in NYC than Nebraska. Plus writers often have flocked to the big city, to gain a community or artists and to be near publishers.

Here is a lovely quote from Willa. Gosh, I love her name, first and last. I don't know the source but it resonates with me this evening:

I was entirely happy. Perhaps we feel like that when we die and become a part of something entire, whether it is sun and air or goodness and knowledge. At any rate, that is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep. --Willa Cather

I have periods in my life in which I am in an energy I call the golden tunnel. I think my golden tunnel might be similar to what Willa Cather describes as being entirely happy.

Lately, not 24/7 but for long stretches each day, I am both entirely happy as defined by Willa Cather and in the golden tunnel.

Last weekend, out canvassing on a hot, sunny afternoon, I suddenly stepped into the golden tunnel and I was entirely happy. I found Brigadoon, I got lots of commitments from people to vote for my candidate, I saw and heard a strolling violin player. That violin player was walking his dog yet turned the mundane task into the energy of classical music, vibrating his being and that vibration resonating to the space around him.  It was a perfect, magical day. Also hard hot work but the magic happiness outweighed the exhuastion and hot sun.

No comments: