Friday, May 01, 2015

love is only currency needed

Yesterday I gifted a 'like-new' but originally very inexpensive bike to a neighbor. She had mentioned, at a community event in the building, that she was hoping to save up to buy a bike. I instantly had the impulse to give her the bike I finally gave her yesterday. I only paid $20 for it. The sellers wanted $40 but money had fallen out of my packback as I walked over to their place to buy it. At first, the guy said he'd walk with me to a bank machine but then he said he'd just take $20 because, moving to Europe in two more days, he and his wife were busy and just wanted the bike gone.

I guess I wrote about my gifting of the bike, in one of my verbose, unedited rambles.

Today, the gift bike recipient emailed me to tell me my gift inspired her. She had been planning to sell her son's child bike, for he is now quite tall and has an "adult" sized bike but, inspired by my gift, she is going to give her son's old, now-too-small but still perfectly-good to another kid in our building.

She wrote "I am going to pay your generosity forward."

That's what I'm talking about. We can live in a gift economy now.

Love is the only energy we need to get all needs met. Reverence is good too.

Love isn't love until you give it away.

No comments: