Sunday, January 18, 2015

visiting flyover country

I apologize for referring to the Great Plains of the Midwest as 'flyover country'.  Lots of folks on the West Coast, and probably the East Coast, who don't know where all the states are reveal their ignorance by referring to 'flyover' country.

I was born in South Dakota but my parents lived in Chicago when I was born and my mom, 1.5 year old brother and I landed back in Chicago when I was two months old. I guess it counts as going back to Chicago for baby me because I had lived there inside my mom, right?

I went to college in Wisconsin.  I went to law school in Minnesota. I have also lived in Nebraska and Michigan, visited virtually all states except Hawaii and Alaska.  I can even identify all the southern states. Do you know where Arkansas is?

I haven't been in the Midwest for some time.  I am visiting Minneapolis.

Then I am darting down to Chicago.  I hope to see all three of my Chicagoland brothers but I will definitely see my baby brother Dave. He is taking days off from work to hang with me.  Dave was my first baby.  I heavily contributed to his care from the day he came home from the hospital.   When I wasn't in school, I was taking care of Dave.  I haven't seen him for too long.  Plus he hopes to arrange a visit with our other two Chicago-based brothers.  It would be lovely to see my brothers, even lovelier to see my nieces and nephews and grandnieces and grandnephews. I have lost track, a bit, about grandnieces and grandnephews.  And all my nieces are not in Chicagoland these days.

I am enjoying the anticipation of all the great art museums in Minneapolis and Chicago. I am also enjoying the anticipation of spending some time with my friend Lana's granddaughters. 

No comments: