Friday, January 23, 2015

slogging along

Today I had strong resistance to doing my laps but I valiantly made myself put on my swimsuit, throw on some clothes and walk over to the pool.  My membership card didn't work and the counter attendant said the computer indicated it had been cancelled as of Jan 19th. On 9th, I had paid for this semester. She let me in, telling me I could check with customer service which I did, and that problem was resolved.

The pool was closed!

So I removed my swimsuit and took a hot shower, turning the water off several times to conserve water as I soaped and shampooed up, put on hair rinse, etc. I feel so pious when I do that. The drought in N. Cali is still very serious. Ah, we squander our water supplies for fracking profits, we destroy the fertile soil that sustains our food system and we pollute our food with chemicals and genetic modifications. I have read that wheat is far less nutritious than it was 100 years ago.

I think water and food wars are going to come along, that competition for increasingly inadequate survival needs is going to get uglier than anyone, at least anyone I know, wants to contemplate.

Did anyone reading this read about the gagillion gallons of oil that spilled into a pristine river in Yellowstone National Park? An oil train derailment. More of that shit is coming at us and I don't think it's going to stop, at least not until things get a whole lot uglier and then, if fortune smiles upon this greedy, rapacious and, perhaps, undeserving race, maybe things will improve.

Not in my lifetime.

So why do I eat so carefully, exercise a lot.  I would be just fine if I died in my sleep tonight. There really isn't anything I want to do. I go through the motions.   My health discipline runs on autopilot. As a friend recently pointed out, I take care of myself so if I do get very old, I will have a more enjoyable quality of life.  I'm not sure about that kind of thinking.

I refused my annual mammogram in 2013 and I let 2014 pass without getting one. The second miss was an oversight. Now I am thinking maybe I'll stop mammograms.  Right now, some of my health care providers are focussed on my latest thyroid test, wanting to do another biopsy of my thyroid. I had a biopsy two years ago. I've had the nodules on my thyroid all my life.  What if I did get thyroid cancer or breast cancer?

Sometimes I think about folks on the Paleo diet. I eat somewhat Paleo but they don't eat legumes and I love my lentils, cannellini, navy beans, etc.  Anyway.

It seems illogical to me to attempt to recreate what contemporary humans guess was the human diet in the Paleolithic era yet submit to modern allopathic medicine.  Paleolithic era humans did not have biopsies, or insulin when a pancreas stops making insulin.

Is insulin okay on a Paleo diet?

Once day, somewhere in the not too distant past,

No comments: