Monday, January 26, 2015

Love's Assault

LOVE’S ASSAULT

by Antoine Moore, a new friend.  Obviously he owns the copyright to his poem.
(Dedicated to V.A.M.)

Nothing more distressing than to feel
the world’s suddenly gone nuts
But only I
keep coloring inside the lines of crazy

Nothing more daunting than to feel
like I am fighting alone
One person
versus an army of never ending

It’s nearly more than I can handle
Devastation cracks open my wounds
scrambles my inner compass
I was shell-shocked
lost and
tittering on the edge
Once sat humpty dumpty
but had a great fall
but none of the king’s horses
and none of the king’s men
could prevent my sunny side up
from oozing out of me

Tumbled like Alice
down the rabbit hole
into ruins and broken pieces
Landed face down in a desolate demolition zone
My mind is crumbled walls
my esteem is collapsed foundation
my emotions are jackhammered beyond repair
I have knocked down any plans
of further building up my future
since sinkholes are unstable ground for new construction

How to make sense out of the senseless?
Like that
it was your passing
but my death
Your cremation
but my burial
Like that
my everything has changed
yet the world moves on
as if nothing has changed at all
It feels            so surreal

Out of nowhere
I was attacked the day you died
in the thick of night
when I was left alone and unprotected
He thrust himself on me
without my consent
and beat me sad and blue

He forcibly pinned down my strength
tore a whole in my defenses
rendered me a deformed shadow of my former self
He then drowned my ache in a bucket of ice
so I could no longer feel my soul

I cried out for you
my comfort, my solace
but mercy was not to be found
Holding myself
I sat rocking chair
and stared blankly up at the sky
Twinkle, twinkle little star
How I wonder….       
    What you are to me
is a mind-altering dose of morphine
Nothing settled my nerves quite the way you did
As long as I had my drip, I could tolerate any pain
but my tolerance sack has dwindled to empty

If only you were here to
help me catch
this bandit of spirits
this predator of dreams
this executioner who left me with only half a heart
Help me solve the riddle
of this unconscionable attack
Support me to survive
this vicious violation

Your staggering absence
keeps me forever thinking about
our love which
surprisingly
presents the biggest clue
to the greatest crime
I have ever known

What does love have to do with it…?

EVERYTHING

No comments: