Tuesday, January 27, 2015

J. M. W. Turner

The DeYoung has moved a lot of European art to the Legion of Honor. I dislike the building that is the Legion of Honor, altho it is a spectacular setting. When I was at the DeYoung yesterday with a friend, I asked where the Turners are now located. I was told they are all at the Legion of Honor, with 'all' the European art. So we looked at a few galleries.  I try to only spent an hour in any art museum, unless I am traveling and unable to see the museum regularly. I saw several European artists, as well as an interesting contemporary (and monumental) piece by a Nigerian. I went back to the staffer who told me all the European art was at the Legion to inform him of the European artists hanging at the DeYoung. Then I said "I think you moved the more famous European painters to the Legion to generate more traffic at the Legion of Honor. I hate the Legion. I hate its formality, its tiny galleries and, for the most part, it's collection does not interest me."

I am primarily interested in 20th Century art and later, although Turner predates the 20th Century.
After that exchange about Turner, for my main motivation in going to the Legion of HOnor yesterday was to see the Turners. But there weren't any Turners at the Legion of Honor.

Someone at the museum told me the DeYoung is doing a major Turner retrospective in 2015, with art that never leaves the Tate.  I'll be there.

No comments: