Friday, August 15, 2014

Ho Chi Min (sp?) Park in Berkeley

I am volunteering for a local political campaign. Mostly I canvass registered Democrats that more seasoned volunteers select. The process of deciding who I try to talk to is called turf cutting. I have no idea what the turf cutting criteria is. It seems to me like they choose houses with the most steps to the front door. Gosh, why do Victorian houses in the Bay Area have second-story front doors and stairs stairs stairs?

I owned a three-story Victorian in Minneapolis. The front door was at the front porch, about four steps off the ground. What's with this high 'first' floors?  It's a stairmaster workout.

The canvassing works well with my Fit Flex obsession. On canvassing days, I get tons of steps in.

There is a cute, small man who is the main coordinator for the pocket of volunteers I work with. Everytime someone, at a meeting for volunteers, mentions Willard Park, he corrects them and says it is actually Ho Chi Min park. He insists the actual, legal name of what every one calls Willard Park is Ho Chi Min Park.

I love it that this guy corrects everyone. I also love the moment when most in the room mumble their agreement. "Oh yeah, it is Ho Chi Min Park" many mutter.


No comments: