Monday, October 09, 2017

someone explain this one, please

One day while heading south on Oxford STreet to go to the UC Berkeley Museum, the old lined cement slope at the SW corner of the intersection at Center and Oxford as full of people with their backs to me waiting to cross to the east, over to UC. So I called out "excuse me, I need to get past to cross the street." And a young woman saw me and said "Oh excuse me".

So then I assumed she was not a moron so when she moved out of my way she would not step in front of my scooter. But she did. I had started moving when she moved because I believed, likely a UC student, was not stupid. I had only one way to go and she had to wait for a light to go where she wanted. But she stepped wrong, into the path I had to go and she shouted out "You bitch. You rolled over my foot." she said it loudly. It was a warm day. I just kept rolling because she did not sound lilke she was in pain just indignant. I did not say anything because I thought her mistake was self evident but also because all I wanted to say aloud was to note how by stepping in front of my moving scooter instead of stepping aside, she had caused her own injury

But I just kept going. I don't go fast on my scooter so if she wanted more interaction, I was right there.

Here is my question: a guy or two in a pick up truck with open windows pulled up just as that young woman shrieked 'you ran over my foot". they had not seen the whole interaction. Yet when I got closer to the driver's open window, it was a warm day, the driver called me a fucking bitch. He didn't know what had happened. So why did he assume the disabled person on a mobility device was at fault?

Berkeley CA sees itself as the beginning of the disability rights movement. Berkeley folks believe curb cuts came from Berkeley.  Curb cuts matter a hella lot. Folks on mobility machines could not go far without curb cuts. Berkeley uses the relatively recent yellow dotted curb slopes but it has not replaced all the old, grooved cement curve cubs. There are many of the old cement ones:  the further into poor parts of town you go, the more you see the old, battered cement curb cuts.

Puzzlingly, most of the black tar crosswalks in downtown Berkeley are some of the choppiest ground in town. Water sewer issues bring crews along that tear up the streets and then the holes they made to do their work get covered with sloppy, uneven tar. Then an electric crew might come along, dig a hole and, again, a tar patch. Tar patch upon tar patch. And all these tar partches lump up, crack, crumble with all the cars and trucks rolling by. Most of the street crossings downtown are really treacherous for me on my electric mobility scooter. But street repair is not, at all, a priority in Berkeley.

I have heard city council reps, some of them in office a very long time, laughing about how pointless it is for residets to report a dangerous intersection. Honest to goddess, they chortle as they say "I have dangerous intersections in my district that I reported five or more years ago and the city street repair department has never even ackowledged my reports to the about such intersections, Haha"  after that, other councilmembers also reported how the relevant city department for road repairs blows the off. and they all laughed. Ha ha ha. How much ya wanna bet the streets near all councilmembers and the ayor are well paved.

North Berkeley is the upscale part of town,  Friends of mine who own homes in N. Berkeley speak in puzzlement about how their streets are repaired frequently even when there are no discernible potholes of lumpy tarred and cracked up patches.  Oh well. Ha ha ha.

No comments: