Sunday, October 22, 2017

He's gone: only the shadow knows the deets

Heard this in lobby of my building while waiting for a ride: I wasn't eavesdroping me and the guy I overheard were inches apart. I could not NOT hear him.

He said, into his smartphone, "He's gone. He's over. We won't be seeing him again. Cops stopped him, he had dealer amount of drugs on him, he tried to run, they found two loaded guns on him, a parole violation. He's gone."

I squirmed. I wanted to know a lot more of that story. Were they friends? Cohorts in crime? Does the speaker on the phone live in my building? This man spoke with no emotion so I could not decide if he cared about the gone guy busted for multiple felonies or if he didn't care and was just reporting some facts. I wondered if the man lives in a world peopled by violence, drug dealing or if he just knows people in that world.

as my dad used to say, only the shadow knows

No comments: