Saturday, June 23, 2018

summer produce

blackberries, boysenberries, fresh figs, stone fruits (Arctic Star peaches! Arctic Snow nectarines!), avocados and my weekly load of spinach and kale, a red onion to flavor salads, a bag of salad greens and heirloom tomatoes.

I will likely braise some spinach, smoothie-pulverize some kale. Such prep is all the cooking I'll be doing this week.

A tiny basket of boysenberries will be a meal. A few figs are heaven.

As I trundled home after my farmers market foray this morning, I imagined human ancestors foraging for food, eating what they foraged, with no agriculture and no cultural rules about 3 meals a day, sit down dinners or whatever.

If I had to choose just one food to feed on this week, it would be fresh figs.

And I don't have to choose!

No comments: