Sunday, September 17, 2017

perfect easy meals

For several weeks, with local farmers markets full of all kinds of tomatoes, I've been eating an heirloom a day. I slice it, grind a little pink himalayan salt and eat the heavenly food, often that's my meal. Sometimes I add thin slices of fresh mozzarella:  sublime.

A favorite that is about to disappear until next spring is fresh figs with small pieces of feta.

I try to do no animal dairy. I don't do much animal dairy.  I just can't give up cheese, most notably fresh mozzarella on purple and red tomatoes. Or orange ones. Or red and green ones. or green.

The fits and feta;  ALSO  sublime.

I eat a dark green leafy salad daily. Does that count as cooking?  I don't think so. My favorite green is spinach. Oh my goddess, I love spinach. Spinach, thin slices of red onion, maybe some quinoa, lemon tahini dressing or anchovie-olive-oil dressing. I make my own dressing, making just enough for one salad. 

I lived in co-housing for two years awhile back (almost 20 years ago). The community had at least two community meals a week that usually had 60 to 75 people sign up. The kitchen was well stocked and set up as a commercial kitchen so it was easy, cheaper and tastier to make salad dressing. I am glad I discovered how easy it is to make one's own salad dressing. my secret: the one cup container for the Magic Bullitt.  And another secret:  I add some mayo instead of raw egg for the anchovi olive oil thing.

Slices tomatoes may go into my main dish salad, sliced cukes, spaghetti'd zucchini.  Get this:  I bought a mandolin some years ago, for slicing food in fancier ways but something went wrong with the order. Or the shipping. The company told me to keep it and refunded my money. The mandolin makes spaghetti-like noodles out of zuccihini.

Garlic.

My fanccy cooking has narrowed to pan baked salmon and spinach braised in garlic infused olive oil. Oh my goddess, I love graised spinach.

I am actually a competent and sometimes quite good cook. I can make lots of stuff. For while, I was making awesome soups. Maybe as the colder, rainy days arrive, I'll do soup.

right now the sublime perfection of a purple tomato with perfect salt and, for another meal, a couple figs and some fetz are so awesome.

I am very discplined about avoiding sugar and strictly limiting carbs. Not for weight loss, but to manage my type one.

I am noticing I feel guilty about my simple, uncooked food. Why?  Nobody cares what I eat.

No comments: