Sunday, September 03, 2017

hot water

I keep swimming daily, of course. Perhaps it is the long holiday weekend that has my pools not-so-crowded. I am amazed by how few folks come out to swim on these very hot days.

I always bring a bottle of chilled water with me when I swim, keeping the bottle on the side of pool, next to whichever lane I am using. Yesterday I left the water in my bag, sitting in the sun. IN the time it took me to do my laps, with my mind increasingly focussed on getting a drink of that water, I considered getting out to get the bottle. I did not want to lose my spot in the pool. So I thirsted the whole swim.

As soon as I got out, I rushed to the bottle.

The water was warm and getting hot. It was buried from sunlight but the ambient heat is so intense that it heated up my water.

Luckily, the pool I was in has one of those slick new water fountains with a place to fill bottles. I love such water fountains. I dumped out the hot water and drew a long, cold bottle full of cold.

Few things are more delicious than cold water. This is true, for me, on any way. I always chill my drinking water at home. And cold water out in the sun in a record-breaking heat wave is even better.

No comments: