Saturday, September 30, 2017

one need not make sense

The City of Berkeley did an online funding campaign to buy 20,000 posters that read "Berkeley Stands United Against Hate". I put one on the front and one on the back of my mobility scooter. I reoved the front one quickly because it got all smushed and it bugged me. The one on the back is still on there. I tend to forget it is back there until someone, nearly always, with only one exception thus far, makes a supportive comment, cheering on Berkeley's rejection of hate.

Yesterday I had to take care of an errand at my local Social Security office (needed new card!). As anyone who ever enters a Social Security office know, even those with 'appointments', there is usually a long wait. I go into my SS office with a book, expecting the wait. And my expectations were met yesterday.

Some guy, who seemed homeless and who eventually convinced me he is mentally ill, rushed in. If you get a number at Social Security and you are not present when it is called, you lose that number and have to start over. This guy rushed in and shouted his relief that his number had not yet been called.

Then he pulled out an elaborate map of something that seemed related to recent political uproars here about free speech. His map, handmade, had circles with words, and lines connection some circles. He pulls it out to show the security guy, who politely acted like he was listening.

But the crazy guy thought he heard his number -- he did not -- so he put his map of Berkeley's politics and/or emotions away and rushed to a service window. When he discovered he had not been called, he came back to the waiting room and just happened to sit next to two very beautiful young women who are, I gradually learned, from Barcelona. These young women were polite to the guy but they also did what I gradually did:  they ignored him.

"You gals look too young to need Social Security", he said to the young women, loudly and pointing at them. They leaned into one another and seemed to glance around for clues on how they might behave.  I weighed in saying "Maybe they need a Social Security card."

And with that, he stopped haranguing them, for he had been haranguing them.

I wanted to say "You look very young to be receiving Social Security. Is it disability you get?" because he looked to be in his thirties, early forties tops. But I did not. While I was sure the security guy would have intervened if the crazy guy had become obstreperous towards me, I exercised some judgment and kept quit.

Then, crazy guy (hereinafter CG) noticed the "Berkeley Stands United Against Hate" sign and shouted to me "I thought the sign was going to read 'Berkeley Stands United against Truth' because it does, you know.

I offered no response. I have learned, through many attempts to befriend homeless people that the schizophrenics are often incoherent, often angry. I thought this guy was looking for someone to rant to and I did not want to attracted more of his attention.

But, hey, CG, fuck you for muttering that Berkeley doesn't are about the truth.

CG did go into a rant to no one in particular about how corrupt and too-liberal Berkeley is. He cited just about all the white supremacist talking points one hears these days.

Once again, I wanted to say something, such as "if the politicians people with your views succeed in their agenda, they will be eliminating disability, and if you are on disability (I am 100% sure he is), whatcha gonna do?" Once again, I kept these thoughts to myself.

I can feel great compassion for the mentally ill, especially the homeless ones. I don't think this guy was homeless because he had no stuff and he did not smell. But he was crazy. And since he was at SS office and his apparent youngish age for SS, he must be on disability. So he's one of the good mentally ill:  he has accepted his limitations and accepts government help.

So weird, but consistent with being mentally ill, that he spews white supremacist and nazi end social service rhetoric. But that's one of the benefits of being crazy:  one need not make sense.

No comments: