Saturday, February 15, 2014

a golden dream

I'm watching the new season of House of Cards on Netflix. This crazy thought just cropped up:  what if all the politicians in D.C. and all bureaucrats and, what the heck, bankers and investment bankers and other capitalists, did everything with deep reverent love for humanity?

What if everyone competed to see who could be the most kindly loving? I mean seriously competed to 'win' as the kindest?

For a moment, I had a golden  glimpse of that love being real.  I was watching a scene with a politician stuck in the Vice President's office because some white powder was found and there is a lock down while they check out the powder. Both politicians are restless bulls, frustrated to be suddenly stymied in their day. Restless, unable to do what they would normally do, which is cutthroat politics. In my golden glimpse, the Congressman spoke about how much he loved another Congressman and the Vice President lovingly said "Oh yes, he is a lovely man. I love him.  I am sure he will agree with our plan to do good." And in this fleeting, golden dream, politicians plotted all the time with the only goal of doing good for the whole, with special tenderness for the poor.

That's the world I want to live in. It seems impossible. Does my skepticism enable the darkness in the world? I fear it does. All thoughts have energy. All energy affects everything.

I need to meditate more.  I need to swim more. Swimming is the best meditation I have known. When I swim at leats an hour a day, I am loving. I'd win kindness competitions, although it would be kind to let otheres win.

No comments: