Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Mission Pie's Shaker Lemon Pie

Last winter, about this time, I discovered shaker lemon pie at Mission Pie. I had gone to La Taqueria for a burrito and stopped in Mission Pie, which is a few doors down. One of the owners is a former girlfriend of a former friend of mine and this admittedly tenuous connection prods me to go into Mission Pie each time I go to La Taqueria for one of their world class burritos. They don't use rice.  I never get rice in any burrito, even though I know that rice and pinto beans form a perfect protein, which explains why Mesoamerica thrived for thousands of years on rice and beans.  I consider rice filler carbs in an already overloaded-carb situation. They use humongous carb tortilla shells to make burritos: that's all the carbs I need. True, true enough, it would be better if those gigantic tortilla shells were made from high fiber whole grains. Is it possible to make a grained-based wrap from brown rice?  Such a tortilla might not be as tasty as the classic white one but you don't really eat burritos for the shell, do you? You eat them for the mezcla, the mix of flavors. The tortilla is, basically, just what you use to hold all the yummy insides together.

Right?

Whatever.

So.  I get my burrito and I go into Mission Pie.  I have gone into Mission Pie many times now and most of those times, I get coffee and leave.  I don't eat pie.  In principle.  The carbs in one slice of pie throws my glucose into the stratosphere.

No comments: