Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I don't understand drinking alcohol

I never drank much. I tend to feel sick hungover after just one or two drinks. When I was about fifty, I sat a ten-day Vipassana silent retreat and the teacher, S.N. Goenka talked about not drinking. Anthroposophists, which is the closest thing I have to a spiritual faith system, believe drinking alcohol burns holes in your etheric body. Your 'etheric' is your energetic sheath, a layer that holds a 'kind' of layer between your physical self and your spiritual self.  I am popping off. Serious anthroposophists would probably be aghast to read what I just wrote. And I am not a student of Buddhism or Goenka-gi's take on Vipassana so I am probably off in whatever I say there.

I heard a Vipassana teacher say 'drinking alcohol affects your work, your real work of being' and I patched that with the 'burns a hole in your etheric, matched with a lifetime of memories of headaches and nausea after just one glass of wine and I thought 'I'm done drinking'.

I will, in theory, have a beer on a hot day, with a friend, for the conviviality. I enjoy the taste of a good beer.  I also enjoy the taste of good wine. And I think that organic wines don't leave me feeling sick.  I don't really feel hungover if I drink 'hard liquor' but I've never really done that.  I never really liked the taste of gin, scotch, vodka, bourbon, whatever.  Do they have tastes?  I'm fuzzy on the deets. It's been a long, long time.

I love the glam of fancy cocktails in fancy glasses.  I love fruity tastes and bitter blends in sweetness.

But I never really got why so many people like to alter their consciousness with drugs. Alcohol is a drug, right?  I just don't get the appeal of the drug aspect of booze.

This might seem unusual.  I have four brothers and I think all of them are alcoholics. They would probably all angrily denounce that statement.  Lots of alcoholics never end up in the gutter so they think they aren't alkies.

No comments: