Tuesday, October 10, 2006

are there wrong thoughts?

When I know other people, which I tend to do on an ongoing basis, I always come up against this phenomenon: I think things about other people that they do not want me to think. It is my tendency to say what I think anyway. Then, when I say the things other people do not seem to want me to think and they take umbrage, I feel quite burned. I don't feel burned by the other's displeasure. No. I feel burned by my Self. I tell myself I am too much, I am not kind enough, I am not good enough. I berate myself for having thought things that other people do not wish me to think. And I can become a muddle.

Sometimes, though, I feel clear and strong and I know that it is perfectly okay to think, well, whatever it is that I think.

But is it always okay to think out loud?

This is a puzzler for me, an ongoing tension. Right now, I am in a space where I am afraid to talk to some friends, afraid I will say things they will not like to hear and they will stop loving me. Am I living from fear?

1 comment:

christy lee-engel said...

Dear Tree,

I wish I could offer a helpful answer to your question...

but even answer-less, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing the link to your blog on the OSList, and that I appreciate the clear bright openness with which you are writing yourself.

Best, best, wishes on your move to California!

Christy Lee-Engel