Sunday, February 21, 2016

S. Carolina is a bit cray-cray

Two friends of mine decided to move from Whidbey Island in Puget Sound (north of seattle about 45 minutes) to south Carolina. They had decided to move somewhere warm. When I began to tell mutual friends that this couple was moving to S. Carolina, virtually everyone I talked to about it said "Oh, you must have gotten that wrong, South Carolina is such a conservative red state. They must be moving to N. Carolina!" One friend, Peggy, even mentioned that no blacks had represented S. Carolina in congress since the Reconstruction period after the Civil War. I was impressed with that friends knowledge of SC history. I had gotten it right: they moved to S. Carolina. And this couple is very liberal. This is their retirement home. And they have the man's brother and sister-in-law live there and they thought it would be nice to live near some family.The woman had lived in the Pacific Northwest her whole life; the husband was originally from the Northeast, NYC, I think. And they are wealthy. I think wealth can cosset liberals in cocoons of other liberals.

My friend has shared a few funny stories of the hated in SC for yankees and how pretty much anyone who was not born and raised and lived in SC all their lives is a Yankee, according to her.

Soon after they moved, SC elected a black to Congress, although I am not sure which office.

No comments: