Wednesday, March 16, 2011

my brudha da judge

I have a brother who was a judge for almost thirty years. He retired recently. Knowing my brudda, his pension must have vested. Or else he did something that the local political machine would not forgive. He retired. Someone else was appointed and his replacement quickly moved up. My brother never advanced. He was a magistrate. His job was always part time.  He settled for that part time gig. It was with the county. It had great benefits. His pension vested with lifetime health care after a certain point.  Most people who take the job want to become a full district court judge, full time, not a low level 'magistrate'. If someone settles for part time magistrate, they also maintain a private practice. Not my brother. He rented a law office for one year but he never got any business. He is plenty smart. He could do good legal work, I bet.  But my brother is neurotic, shy and crazy. He cringed at the thought of needing customers.  He was born to a public sector job mentality.  His wife also worked for the public sector. She worked for one agency of government for twenty years, until her first pension vested and then she switched over.  He always intended to get full time work, maybe move up as a judge to full time or into a law firm. But he never did.  My brudha da judge is a Nazi fuck loonie.

Oh, and my brother the judge used to worship Rush Limbaugh.  I haven't talked to this brother in fifteen or more years. More, I think.  But back when I did still run into him once awhile, which was basically when I visited our mother, he liked to rant on and on with his beliefs about politics. He is one of the puzzling middle class voters who vote for the Karl Rove political agenda that has used abortion, gay marriage and eliminating big governent to incite middle class voters to vote against their own wellbeing. Back when I still talked to my brother once in a great while, he still believed that sooner or later he would rise into a higher economic bracket and benefit from the lower-our-taxes mentality.  This brother had lots of theories about the superiority of the white race, esp. Aryans.

In the 8th grade in our grammar school, every student had to give a speech about a historical figure they admired. I gave mine about Abraham Lincoln. This was before I was infected with any feminist thought.  My brother, in the 8th grade a year ahead of me, talked about Adolf Hitler. I am not making that up. It caused a bit of a scandal in our little world but my folks never seemed to notice.  My folks never noticed anything this brother did, like when he beat me up.  Once, when I was in the 5th grade and this brother in the 6th, my class had left the school before his. I waited for his class to exit to walk home with a girlfriend in his class. Brother bounded out the school door, seeming to gather power as he rushed up to me and then he smashed my left eye with his right fist and kept on going.  I had a seriously black eye from it. But when my brother told my parents that he had accidentally run into me because I had been standing in his path, they believed him. He was not punished.  I was blamed for standing in the wrong spot because I should have known by then what he was like. That's how my parents handled him. And this brother did not just beat on me. He beat on all us kids. And my folks let him. The nuns warned my folks not to waste money on Catholic h.s. for this brother cause he was destined to drop out and land in prison. So the nuns were wrong. He did become a judge.

It's funny how even losers can become judges. It seems that

No comments: