Thursday, May 08, 2014

get into gratitude

Once, when I was in my early thirties and going to a liberal Unity Church because I believed I should offer my daughter some religious mentoring but religious light.  I chose our Unity Church when I learned the Sunday School curriculum for kindergarden children was based on The Wizard of Oz.  How bad could Sunday School based on The Wizard of Oz be?

I had to go to church to drop Katie off at Sunday School so I would go to the service. What else to do for that hour?  Turned out this church had a real spellbinder of a preacher.  That guy was, hands down, the best preacher I have ever heard.  Man, that guy could preach. He was an executive for Standard Oil when one day, standing in his highrise office looking out, he realized he was in the wrong work and he was called to be a minister. He enrolled in Unity ministerial school as soon as possible and never looked back.

Jim, the minister, won my confidence. He would make appointments with people to talk about whatever they wanted. I made an apppointment with him once. I felt lost at the time. My life was going smoothly. My work was fine, my kid was happy, I was happy but I felt I needed to make some changes. I was blank about what the changes should be. So I went to talk to Jim.

His advice:  get into gratitude.

I was feeling lost, and felt that way, actually

No comments: