Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Descendants

I went to the new George Clooney movie. He has  a full head of gray hair. He looks his age.

It's a good movie.  I don't think it is an all time great movie. I doubt if 100 years from now it will be on 'best movies of all time' lists but it is my idea of a good movie. It tells a realistic-seeming story about human beings. This story is set in Hawaii, giving the movie-goer pretty scenery, plus playing off some Hawaiian culture. It is always interesting to me to have glimpses of culture unfamiliar to me.

I have read that the movie is already getting Oscar buzz.  One of the main characters is a teenage actress, whose name I don't know. I read that she is getting Oscar buzz so I watched her performance a little more closely.  If I acknowledge that Academy Awards seem more like a marketing/popularity prize than recognition of artistic achievement, then I can totally believe the young actress will be nominated. What do I know about acting?

No comments: