Saturday, December 01, 2018

the berlin wall

The Berlin Wall fell, I think, in 1989. Katie was seven. I don't remember paying much attention to the event but Katie must have heard about it at school. While Christmas shopping, for Xmas 89 or 90, we came upon a display in Dayton's Department Store: they were selling chunks of the Berlin Wall for $9.95. It was like a pet rock only with a putative historical significance. I don't remember how but the opportunity to own a piece of history captured Katie's fancy. She wanted to buy one for her dad for Christmas.

I tried to discourage her. I swear. I knew, instantly, that he-who-shall-not-be-named would think I was making a commentary, comparing our divorce to the falling of the Berlin Wall.

And he did. He was furious about that piece of the wall.

Katie was oblivious to any possible undertones in that hunk of the wall. She thought she was giving her dad a piece of history. She thought it was thrilling

No comments: