Sunday, October 30, 2016

Helga, The Thorn Witch and Katie


Frida was way cool. A visionary artist, she overcame severe physical crippling, took female lovers openly when no one did that openly and painted what she saw in her own being, painted things no one had ever seen. But she also endured open, chronic abuse from her husband, Diego Rivera. Not my idea of a female role model to mend the damage of endless princess fairy tales.

Do you know the Tomie de Paolo book, Helga's Dowry? Helga is a troll, beautiful by troll standards but poor so the cute troll she crushes on tells her he must marry a troll with money, a fat dowry. She, Helga, goes out and generates great wealth and then, sure, the pretty boy wants her.  As she went about acquiring her fat dowry, the troll king took notice and he fell for the powerful woman. She rejected pretty boy before the king proposed, accepted the king and lived, one hopes, happily ever after.

That was my first feminist take on princesses that I read to my Katie. I give it to any little girl who crosses my path. So if you are expecting a chick grandchild, send me your address, and I'll give the baby Helga's Dowry. An oldie these days but still a goodie, imho.

For Katie's first 2.5 years, we lived in Omaha. I all but haunted the one good children's book store in Omaha, prowling for female protagonist children's picture books. A proud day was the day the book store owner told me my determination to give Katie different female book characters had her whole staff more aware of the need for books for girls. There were other bookstores and I haunted them all and all the clerks in them knew what I wanted:  female protagonists for children's books. This was pre-internet when one could not just google to find what one wanted.  One shopped.

Another favorite, and I have a spare copy already, but it is a little more advanced, like age 3 for smart kids: The Thorn Witch. Oh my gosh, Katie and I loved that book. She took it for show and tell in her kindergarden. The kindergarden teachers would read any books the children brought. After school that day, Katie morosely told me that the teacher read it all wrong, that she didn't know how to use the voices that I used. I was a proud mama that day and until Katie complained about the teacher reading in monotone, I did not know Katie loved how I gave every character their own voices, in every book.
My daughter loved me then. What happened?

Imagine me reading this line with a screechy, shrieky, loud voice "You stole my blackberries and now you have to pay for them. Now, will you come quietly or will I have to carry you in this?" and then I would wave an imaginary gunny sack, just like the one on the page of the book,  in Katie's face. She giggled and snuggled me a little closer every time I waived (waved?) that imaginary gunny sack at her. In the book, The Thorn Witch is threatening to put Charlotte in the gunny sack but Charlotte capitulates and walks along as she is told.

Violet and Charlotte had picked blackberries for a pie to contribute to a Halloween party. Turned out the Thorn Witch lived in the blackberry brambles.

Long story short, at the end, the girls make another blackberry pie for the Thorn Witch, then give her the recipe. TW thanks them and said "I had no idea you could make anything so delicious with my blackberries."

There's more to this. There were four books in the seires. I bought all of them. And I have gifted sets to a few little girls over the years. The Thorn Witch  is, hands down, the best book about these rag dolls turned into little girls.

No comments: