Friday, November 02, 2012

cloud atlas

It would be hard to do justice to this amazing novel in a movie. A friend commented on Facebook that there is too much violence.  Sadly, I think violence has played an overly large role in humanity.

I want to reread Cloud Atlas but I don't have a copy.  Darn.

After the movie, my friend and I decided to walk to Smokey Joe's Bar B Que.  I was going to share some ribs -- just the ribs, no potatoes. Maybe slaw -- this guy's cole slaw is only shredded cabbage, so I can eat that. The ribs are fatty, so loaded with cholesterol. I remember a line from a Jerry Seinfeld episode when a shiksa girlfriend offers him a pork chop and he says 'heart attack on a plate' and I had never known someone who refused pork because of a health reason, not at that time.  I know plenty now, including me.

But geez, I eat to well now. I literally eat no fat or cholesterol. Once in a blue moon won't hurt me.

But Smokey J's (which I think is the correct name) protects me. Twice now I have walked all the way to his shop, about 1.2 miles each way only to find it closed even though it is normally open at the time I go. Today I found a sign, near 8 p.m. indicating he would be closed to next week.  I like it that the guy closes when other stuff in his life matters more than the day's profits. And I am glad the few times this has happened cause I don't need the high fat ribs.

I have rationalized these ri b forays by walking there and back, at least 2.5 miles, but it is a weak rationale.

So then I thought I get some braised chicken at Berkeley Bowl but it was closed. Then I just walked home, kissed my friend good night at my door and had a protein shake.

And now I am going to try to go to bed early -- this is very early for me, cause I am doing a day trip to Sausalito tomorrow, with picnic.  We're taking the ferry from SF. I haven't ridden the ferry from SF to Sausalito since a trip to SF with my then-nine-year-old, now-30-year-old daughter. It was thrilling to pass close to Alcatraz.

I've been to Sausalito a few times, but not on the water in the SF Bay since then.  Cold and wet, I'll still have a happy day.

I can forget I live where I do because I never go anywhere. This weekend, it's tourist trips all over.

No comments: