Saturday, January 07, 2012

a cutting edge

Dental work. I spent more than a year skipping coffee in coffeeshops, scrimping to pay for a prophylactic root canal, a post-and-core, a crown-lengthening and then a crown. About $2,300 at a dental school.  I asked a few people who love me to contribute, which they did.

Old age isn't for sissies or poor people.

People: listen to that advice about brushing well twice a day, flossing, etc.  Dental care is unaffordable in old age. If I run out of the ability to pay for dental school dental care, I'll run out of teeth.

Anyway, yesterday, I started the process for a new crown. $758. A gold one. I think this is much cheaper than most private dentists but it is a ton of money for me.  I was going to buy a new messenger bag. My current one is six years old and falling apart, but now I don't have the hundred bucks or do so get one. And I need new shoes. The ones I have just don't work anymore; every step hurts my right arch for some reason.

Few things make me feel more forlorn than not being able to buy basic needs.  I'm depressed.

The dental student was a little slow yesterday and then he rushed at the end. I have a temporary filling right now and he fussed endlessly so I won't bite on it this week. I see him again in just one week, thank goodness. He left the inner edge of the filling sharp. It's like having a dull knife in the back of my mouth. Whenever I move my tongue, which I seem to do constantly, it hurts.

Life just never seems to be light for me.  I had dreams about the money I am now spending on a gold crown. I was going to go on a trip. Maybe Mexico.  Now, I am just going to the dental school three times.

Sigh.

No comments: