Thursday, August 02, 2007

the tortoise and the hares at eagle park pool

I don't know why but new signs have been put up at my pool. There used to be two designated slow lanes. Now there are four slow lanes. This small change brings me real joy.

It is stressful to swim with faster swimmers. I don't mind if the fast guys (the pushy ones are always male) pass me but the fast guys aren't satisfied just passing me up. They expect slow swimmers to get out of their way. If they are coming to the end of a length, they expect the slow swimmers to stop and wait for them to finish one length and begin the next. I understand that they get a better workout if they can keep swimming without stopping because, hey, I get a better workout if I keep swimming. I don't mind pausing once in awhile to let someone pass me but when fast swimmers get in the lane with me, I would have to stop quite a lot.

A lap pool is such a pond of humanity. How is it that when it comes to physical exercise that folks seem to assume that the faster athletes have superior rights?

These fast guys really drive me nuts. They are so macho.

No comments: