Friday, June 02, 2017

my cardiologist said

He sent me a message, after my latest echogram, stating that my meds seem to be working.  I do feel better. I do not feel well. Movement is hard and painful. I can struggle to catch my breath after walking across a room. And when I do force myself out of my home, a few blocks walking fatigues me so much that I usually cut whatever I tried to do short and come home and nap, soundly, for hours. Then sleep long hours overnight, also. 

Always tired. Growing dangerously isolated.

So I bought an electric mobility scooter. I struggle so much to go to my swimming pool, which is a few blocks, uphill, walk. The walk wipes me out. Once I am in the pool, I see I have work to do to rebuild my endurance. With the mobility scooter, I am sure I will.

I am tired all the time. In pain all the time. And I am doing well, according to one doc.

Another doc told me I could not swim for two weeks. This was a month ago, before I went to Canada. I lamented "But I need to exercise because of my heart failure" to which she responded "So walk." When I said walking was very painful and walking is no longer a viable exercise for me, she was dismissive.

My primary doc said she'd start the process to get me a paid-for mobility scooter but that process would take a year or more.  Not exercising for more than a year was not the right way for me to go.

Swimming. Zipping up to the pool, swimming and zipping home.

I will be back up to a mile daily within a month. I so love swimming outdoors. Here, I swim outdoors year round. Even on rainy and/or very cold days, I love swimming. In fact, I quite like cold, blustery rainy days for swimming. It leaves the pool almost empty. Once in the water, it feels the same as usual. And rain? Wet is wet.

No comments: