Thursday, August 21, 2014

figs, no one can eat just one. Can they?

As all fresh fig lovers should know, there are two fig seasons each year. There is an early summer fig season and a late summer one. I speak only of N. California.  I don't know the fig growing patterns elsewhere.

Every time I see fresh figs on sale, I buy a pint. As I do so, I resolve to eat just a couple at a time. Figs are loaded with carbs and they spike my glucose levels, even if I inject insulin. One problem is I inject enough insulin for three figs and then I eat the whole pint.

I love love love fresh figs.

Dried figs. Meh. I pass on dried figs.

Thank goddess the second wave of this year's fig season is almost over.

I just gobbled what might have been the best basket of figs I have had this year. I am so glad I did not buy two pints yesterday. Then again, I am going out tonight and I will be walking. I am always taking detours to walk more, to get more steps on my Fit Flex. I could easily detour, before my dinner meeting, and pick up more figs.

I feel my glucose spiking in anticipation.

No one can eat just one fresh fig. Can they?

I just thought of an excuse to buy more figs today:  I have never tried any in my raw green smoothies. I always add some fruit to improve the flavor. Fresh ginger, cinnamon and a fruit, plus greens and water. Yum. I know fresh figs will be awesome in a smoothie, although I am not sure the figs will last until tomorrow. I won't be making a smoothie when I come home from dinner tonight.

Figs. Figs. Figs. The incredible, edible fig.

No comments: